Today, for day 7 of blogmas, I have a festive interview with the fabulous Ruth Lauren, author of Prisoner of Ice and Snow, which I loved.
Onto the post!
Hi Ruth! Thank you so much for being here!
Thanks for inviting me!
1. What made you decide to create a wintry world? How did you go about creating that atmosphere? I really just wanted to make the prison in the book the most hostile of places and to utilise the landscape and the conditions to further that. The cold and the ice and snow are used as punishments but I do think there’s beauty alongside the cruelty of winter in Demidova. Writing constant cold you do have to be mindful of how that would feel to the characters and how it would impact on everything they do, so can it can be an impediment, but it can also be a wonderful way of making things more difficult for your characters!
2. Do you ever plan on creating festivals within Demidova? There is actually a Saint’s Day week long celebration in Book 2, Seeker of the Crown! (although it does get overshadowed by a shocking event which I won’t say anything about because spoilers).
3. If you could create a new festival in the real world, what would it be? Which season would it be held in? How would it be celebrated? Well since I already celebrate Christmas in winter, something in the summer would be nice. How about a month long Festival of Books (and maybe cake?) in July? Permanent reading/cake for the entire month. Should I speak to my MP about this?
4. What does Christmas mean to you? What would be your perfect way to spend the day? I spend Christmas with family. I love getting presents for my kids. Just once, I’d really like it to actually snow on Christmas Day. That would be perfect.
5. What`s the best Christmas gift you`ve ever been given? Books! I always ask for books. But I did have a bike, probably in 1986, that was pretty cool too.
6. What are your favouite winter/Christmas pastimes? Last year I went tobogganing and ice skating with my family. That was really fun.
7. Do you have any Christmas traditions? On Christmas Day I will be eating apple and blackberry crumble and drinking Prosecco whilst wearing an extremely nice dress despite the fact that I won’t be leaving the house. Many Quality Street will be eaten.
1. Your favourite Christmas film? Scrooged with Bill Murray.
2. The bookish Christmas you`d most like to be part of? The end of the Long Winter in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.
3. Would you rather build a snowman or go sledging? Snowman.
4. Your favourite Christmas song? Winter Wonderland.
5. Your favourite food to eat? Quality Street.
6. Would you rather go on a flight with reindeer or spend the day with elves making toys? Flight!
Thank you so much for reading, I hope you enjoyed learing a little more about Ruth! For today in the comments, I’d like to know YOUR answer to the last question. What would you rather do and why?
See you tomorrow,
4 thoughts on “A Christmas Q and A with Ruth Lauren!”
Snow on Christmas Day is the dream! Great post! Going to give the book a google Xxxxxxx
This was a fascinating interview and I’m definitely going to check out the book! It was interesting to hear what the author had to say about writing an entirely cold atmosphere in her book and how the characters would feel being in that cold climate *heads to goodreads* xxx
Great interview! I’d take a flight with the reindeer too, who doesn’t want to fly?! x
Great interview! I like getting to hear from authors, btw scrooged is also my favourite ever Christmas film 💕💕