Hello everybody! Today, since it is the 27th December- that weird day when it is officially no longer Christmas but festive stuff is still sort of happening- I’m going to do something sort of festive (because there’s just something Christmassy about Harry Potter) and sort of not, the Harry Potter Spells Tag, which I found ages ago on Charlotte Somewhere and have been planning to do ever since! Onto the post!
1. ACCIO- An upcoming release you wish you could get your hands on right now.
This is hard, but I’d probably go for Emma Carroll’s When We Were Warriors or Holly Smale’s
2. ALOHOMORA- Favourite series starter
There are loads of first books in a series that I love, but I think I’ll go for the Crooked Sixpence, because while I enjoyed it’s sequel, I definitely thought the first one was better. I still really need to pick up the 3rd and final book in that series!
3. CHEERING CHARM- A book that gave you all the warm Fuzzies.
Geek Girl, always.
4. AGUAMENTIA- Book that made you ugly cry.
Jess Butterworth’s books and Being Miss Nobody are very strong contenders, but I think the Last Wild books made me cry more than anything else ever. Except maybe Trash, which is soul-destroyingly sad.
5. EXPECTO PATRONUM- Bookish Hero or Heroine you want around to protect you in Real Life.
A stabby assassin from a dark dystopian or epic fantasy book that I haven’t read because I don’t really enjoy those sorts of books. Charlotte, if you’re reading, what stabby assassin do I want as my personal protector? On a less vauge note, I also wouldn’t say no to the Falcone family from the Blood for Blood trilogy having my back.
6. LUMOS- A book you Intentionally spoiled for yourself.
I didn’t intend to spoil myself for it, exactly, but I know the ending of What If It’s Us and I kind of wish I didn’t because it’s making me less excited about picking it up, because it’s one of my least favourite things that sometimes happens at the end of romantic books.
7. IMPERIO- A book you wish you could make everyone read because you loved it so much
I don’t think every book will suit every reader, but I do wish more people had read Boy in the Tower, because it is AMAZING and I think there is probably something everyone could appreciate in it.
8. ENGORGIO- A book or series you wish never ended.
The Adventure Island series by Helen Moss!
9. WINGARDIUM LEVIOSA- A book with an uplifting ending or message.
I know I’ve mentioned it quite a ridiculous number of times already and (spoiler) mention it even more further down, but you can’t beat the message of Geek Girl: that who you are is wonderful, and you don’t need to alter yourself.
10. OBLIVIATE- A book you wish you could forget you ever read
I don’t know which one I’d pick, but one of my favourites so I could read it for the first time and be amazed by it again.
11. ANAPNEO- an author whose books always get you out of a slump.
The Geek Girl books always manage it, but picking up a highly anticipated release sometimes can too.
12. JELLY-LEGS JINX- A swoon-worthy Hero or Heroine.
Nick from Geek Girl, obviously. But I’ve mentioned him about a billion times for similar questions, so a recent fave is Matt from Fierce Fragile Hearts.
13. ARESTO MOMENTUM- a book that caused you to stop doing all other things until you finished it.
The Graces. I just managed to put down Radio Silence so I could study for my exam at the end of this same week, but I totally skived French revision at the beginning of it because IT IS SO GOOD,
14. CRUCIO- A book that was painful to read.
I’m surprised I didn’t give myself repetitive strain injury from all the flinching I did while reading The Dark Wild, because that was a stressful time. Amazing book though!
15. RICTUSEMPRA- A book that had you laughing out loud.
Geek Girl, obviously. But a few other series with great humour include the Murder Most Unladylike books and the Explorers books.
16. EXPELLIARMUS- A book that made you want to send it Flying.
This is not a popular opinion because the rest of the world loved it, but the Loneliest Girl in the Universe. I was genuinely annoyed that I’d spent time reading it.
17. PORTUS- A bookish world you wish you could visit.
So many. Lundinor would be the best fun I think. But seriously, my answer to this change literally all the time.
18. STUPEFY- A book with a shocking twist or ending
Jinxed’s ending is exceptional and is my new answer to this question. Apologies to the Lost and the Found; you had a good run, but it’s time to relinquish your crown.
19. AVADA KEDAVRA- A character death that destroyed you.
I know this is a really obvious answer for a tag themed around Harry Potter, but Sirius Black and Dobby are right up there in my most devastating deaths ever list.
20. FINITE INCANTATEM- Best series conclusion.
I think this one has to go to Forever Geek, because I thought I’d hate the ending because, y’know, one of my favourite ever series was ending, but it was absolutely perfect in every way. Battle of the Beetles was so great too- the Beetle trilogy is another fave, and it ended so well.
Which of these spells would you most like to cast? What are your thoughts on the books I’ve mentioned? I’d love to hear in the comments!