Hello everybody! Today, I’m going to be doing the first tag I’ve done in absolutely AGES, which is Charlotte’s What Makes Me Pick Up a Book? tag. Onto the post!
1. Do you judge a book by its cover?
Definitely! Quite a lot. I wouldn’t rule out reading any books based on just a cover though, I’m not THAT shallow.
2. Focusing just on a cover, what attracts you to pick it up?
I’m a sucker for anything shiny and sparkly, and pretty colours. I like them too. And obvs if I like the illustration or design that helps as well.
3. Do you read the synopsis first, or prefer to go in knowing nothing about the book?
As you’ll know if you’ve ever read one of my most anticipated posts, I quite often read things without knowing really anything about them, especially it’s by an author I’ve read and liked before!
4. Do you have any auto-buy authors?
If we’re talking authors I’d definitely buy rather than borrow, Emma Carroll and Robin Stevens are the only two I can think of where I don’t even check to see if the library has their new ones in, I just buy it straight away because I know I’ll definitely want to reread them at some point.
5. Are you more likely to pick up a book if it has specific elements/themes?
There are definitely times I’ll want to read something because it focuses on a topic I’m interested in, or I know certain tropes I love feature. For example, I just learned If I Never Met You has a fake relationship and as such I’ve decided it will be my first Mhairi McFarlane (I’ve wanted to read her for ages but couldn’t decide where to start!) and I want to buy it immediately.
6. Do you ever read a book that has generally negative reviews just to form your own opinion on it?
Not really, actually. Sometimes I won’t even read a book I was really excited for if I hear enough negative reviews. I don’t even do it on purpose, I just prioritise them less I guess.
7. Do you ever buy a book just because another booktuber/blogger has talked about it a lot?
It would depend on who they were. If I know I often like things they do, sure. But I don’t tend to buy things just because they’re hyped by loads of people and I keep seeing it everywhere, unless I’m actually somewhat interested in it anyway.
8. Is there anyone whose book recommendations you always trust?
Lily and I have incredibly similar taste in books (and most things, really, now I think about it!). If she likes something, I’m much more likely to give it a chance (eg I bought Where the River Runs Gold recently because I know she enjoyed it, even though its dystopian and I barely ever like dystopian)
What are the main things that make you pick up a book, or not? Do you agree with any of my answers? I’d love to hear in the comments!