Today I’m participating in the #sixforsunday meme hosted by Steph at A Little But A Lot. Today’s prompt is six types of book covers that I love, so let’s get started!
1. Bright colours- I really love a book which stands out on a shelf e.g the Murder Most Unladylike mysteries (designed by Nina Tara) or the covers of the Geek Girl series by Holly Smale.
2. Books which just look beautiful somehow, such as Unboxed by Non Pratt, the cover of which is designed by Kate Alizadeh, ( which I actually wasn’t going to read till I saw how amazing the cover was) and the cover of Stargazing for Beginners by Jenny Mclachlan.
3. Pretty sprayed edges- I’m not a big fan of these in most books, but there have been 3 this year that I think nailed sprayed edges as in these cases they really added to my love for their covers/the books in general ; Wing Jones by Katherine Webber (which goes from pink to purple), Who Let the Gods Out? by Maz Evans (which has orange with a lightning bolt) and Beetle Queen by M. G Leonard, which is yellow with black polka dots)
4. Julian de Narvaez covers- I only know of one author whose covers this illustrator works on, but they’re probably my favourite covers ever; Emma Carroll’s. I’m a huge Emma Carroll fan in general, and her covers fit her books perfectly. They’re pretty, and intricately detailed, and they always show some of the key points of the book. The cover reveal for an Emma Carroll book never fails to get me even more excited for it’s release date, and there’s never been one yet that isn’t totally gorgeous.
5. Unique covers – I really like covers which just look a little bit different to others at the moment and my best example of this are the Spinster Club trilogy by Holly Bourne. They’re black with brightly coloured lettering and spines instead of the opposite way around, and I just love them, as they stand out straight away in bookshops.
6. I’m struggling to come up with another type of cover for these books, other than they have the main character on the front, so I’m just going to mention a few that I love- I adore the covers of the Laura Marlin Mysteries by Lauren St John (designed by David Dean) and also the covers for the Uncommoners series by Jennifer Bell, which I probably wouldn’t have took a chance on had I not really liked the cover (designed by Karl J. Mountford)
Do you agree with my favourite types of cover? What are yours? Let me know what you think in the comments/on Twitter.
Hope you enjoyed the post, and have a great Sunday!